Study Abroad on the sunny island of Cyprus.
Cyprus is a popular holiday destination. Exotic nature, warm azure sea and fantastic sunny beaches attract tourists from all over the world. However, the popularity of the Mediterranean island is growing not only because of its unique resorts. Many young people seek education and also learn English in Cyprus. High quality of education, affordable cost, international diplomas – these factors become decisive for many applicants. We talk about the advantages of Cypriot educational institutions in the article below:
Study Abroad on the sunny island of Cyprus
Higher education system
There are 8 universities on the island – private and public. The academic year at the university begins in September and consists of 2 semesters: autumn and spring.
Studying at universities in Cyprus includes 3 independent stages:
- bachelor’s degree (4 years);
- Master’s degree (2 years);
- postgraduate studies (3-5 years depending on the specialization).
For students, including Russians, there is another opportunity to get higher education in Cyprus – to enter one of the colleges. This is an intermediate step between school and university, which nevertheless belongs to universities. Some colleges have the advantage of issuing double degrees, which are recognized by higher education institutions in the United States and Great Britain. In addition, the accreditation of many Cypriot universities in the United States and Europe provides students with the opportunity to participate in a variety of exchange programs.
Study at universities in Cyprus is structured in a similar way to the European credit system. Its essence lies in the fact that at each stage the student gains a certain number of credit hours. For a bachelor’s degree, they need 180, for a master’s – 120, and for a doctor of sciences – 60. In addition, for the last two stages, you will need to defend a diploma project and a dissertation, respectively.
COST OF TRAINING IN CYPRUS
It is possible for foreign citizens to attend a public school free of charge until the age of 15 only if they have a residence permit. The cost of tuition in a private school is 12-18 thousand euros per year, but this also includes the cost of food and accommodation.
Higher education is free of charge for everyone. Its cost depends on many factors. For example, studying at a state university will cost less – 3,000 €, than at a private university – over 4,000 €. In addition, the student will need funds for food, accommodation, travel, clothing, etc. – at least 300 €, and the cost of medical insurance will be approximately 100 €.
Requirements for foreigners for admission
1. Those wishing to study at a bachelor’s degree are required to provide a certificate of maturity.
2. Those who want to continue their studies in the master’s degree must obtain a bachelor’s degree.
3. Each applicant must be fluent in English (Greek).
4. You should also provide:
- information about progress in the previous educational institution, confirmed by the Ministry of Education or the administration of the educational institution;
- a medical certificate confirming that the applicant is not sick with tuberculosis and hepatitis B;
- application of the established form to the administration of the university;
- letters of recommendation;
- copy of your passport;
- a document confirming the availability of sponsorship;
- photos 45×35 mm – 5 pcs.
Scholarships and grants
Higher education institutions are severely limited in funds that can be directed to financial aid to students. To receive a grant or scholarship, you must have a reasonably compelling reason. The amount is calculated taking into account the real financial needs of the student, but does not exceed 1/3 of the cost of tuition fees.
Only a few dozen students can hope for material assistance. Student funding is handled by the Bureau of Education and the Cyprus Department of Culture. You can find out about available scholarships on various sites, such as varsityadmission.com.
Conditions for obtaining a visa
The document should be drawn up 2-3 months before the start of the school year. The application is submitted by the administration of the university in Cyprus. For his part, the student must provide:
- foreign passport valid for at least 1 year;
- a copy of the identity card;
- personal statement on the form;
- 4 photos 45×35 mm;
- a certificate of the availability of funds;
- Certificate of maturity;
- a certificate from law enforcement agencies;
- a certificate from a university or college of Cyprus on admission;
- receipt of paid visa processing services.
Would you like to study in Cyprus? Let’s hear from you.